SAMBAL,, the Singaporean And Malaysian Bisexual women And Lesbians international e-mail list is an interactive forum for lesbians and bisexual women from Malaysia and Singapore to come together to discuss Malaysian/Singaporean lesbian and bisexual women's cultural, social and political experiences/issues in cyberspace.
The online discussion group was co-founded by filmmaker Madeleine Lim when she moved to San Francisco in 1988, while escaping persecution by the Singapore government for her work as a lesbian artist-activist.
The news list is a strictly women-only space. It is open to all Malaysian and Singaporean lesbians and bisexual women around the world who have access to the Internet via an e-mail account. It defines Malaysians and Singaporeans as women born in and/or have ancestral and cultural ties from or descending from these two countries.
Individuals who qualify and are interested in joining the group are requested to send an email to "email@example.com" with answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to join SAMBAL?
- What do you hope to gain from this group?
- How do you think you can contribute to the group?
- Are you Singaporean or Malaysian, and are you living in the homeland or abroad?
- How do you identify yourself and are you open about it with friends/family?
This article was written by Roy Tan.